The French Open

The French Open

Ooooh laaa laaa!

The French Open is an annual tennis tournament,  but not just a tennis tournament, it’s a Grand Slam.  In a year, four Grand Slams are played, Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon and US Open. This year, the French Open starts on May 27th.

French Open fast facts:

• The destination is Paris, France.
  • The French Open is played on clay surface.
  • During 1940 to 1945, the French Open was cancelled due to World War II.
  • The tournament was first held in 1891. That means it is 110 years old.
  • It has always been played on clay.
  • It is the only Grand Slam played on clay.
  • The French Open’s official name is Roland Garros.
Can you spot the real Effiel Tower?                         

Bon and I in Paris, or are we?                                                                                                                                  My Nan and Dad-Dad in Paris.

This year in the Women’s Draw, I think either:

• Maria Sharapova
  • Victoria Azarenka
  • Sam Stosur

Will have a chance to win the French Open.

I chose these players because:

Maria Sharapova has won two clay titles in a row recently.

Victoria Azarenka won the Australian Open this year.

Sam Stosur is a sensational player and moves and plays well on clay court. It sure would be great to see and Aussie win another Grand Slam!

In the Men’s Draw, I think either:

• Rafael Nadal
  • Novak Djokovic
  • Roger Federer

I chose these players because:

Rafael Nadal has won clay titles this year, he is known as ‘The Clay King’. He has won the French Open six times.

Novak Djokovic is ranked World no.1.

Roger Federer is a legendary player with 16 Grand Slam titles to his name. He holds the record for winning the most Grand Slam titles in Men’s history.

Enjoy my PhotoPeach on the French Open

(Some photos are from FlickrCC, others are my own)

Comment on:

Do you know any interesting facts about the Effiel Tower or France?

If you know any tennis players, who do you think will win the French Open?

Do you have any cool facts to share about tennis or your favourite sport?

21 thoughts on “The French Open

1. Dear Liv,

Well once again you have done a magnificent post or as the French would say magnifique. Here are a couple of Effiel Tower facts it took 2 years, 2 months and 5 days to build and stands 324 metres tall. Did you know it is painted in three different shades? The darkest at the bottom and the lightest on the top. Now on to the tennis, I have to agree with you on this I also think Sharapova will prove hard to beat I only hope she didnt peak a week to soon. Here is a fact I know about sport, Saturday morning tennis will be cancelled if this RAIN doesnt stop!

Love you
    Mum xx

• Dear Mum,

Thanks again for your fantastic comment. I am always glad to hear from you, it makes my day!

Wow! That fact is really interesting! No, I didn’t know that it is painted three different colours.
      Tennis fun facts:
      Wimbledon is the oldest tennis tournament and Grand Slam in the world.
      In women’s play, Margaret Court holds the record for winning the most Grand Slam titles, with 24 titles.
      In men’s play, The Swiss Master, Roger Federer holds the record for winning the most Grand Slams titles, with 16 titles.
      Who is your favourite player?
      Who in the mens, do you think will win the French Open?

Love ya,
      Liv

2. Dear Liv,

Well if you liked those Eiffel Tower facts here is another one. Did you know that the top of the tower sways 15cm in strong winds, just imagine how much it would have swayed in Leopold today.

You always amaze me with your tennis facts and stats, keep it up. My favourite player in the womens is your favourite also KIm Clijsters. I like the way she speeds around the court and the power she has in her ground strokes is phenomenal.

My pick for the mens champion is Rafa.I love to watch him slide on the clay. My underdog pick for the women is Sam Stosur, it would be great to see an Aussie win.

Love you
    Mumxx

• Dear Mum,

Wow! We are having a great conversation aren’t we? I love hearing from you, always.

Those facts are so interesting! It would have swayed a lot in Leopold today. I would love to visit Paris one day, and maybe on May 27th!

I too love Kim for her great speed and especially her wide split shots. She’s so strong in her forehand and backhand.

I have to agree, Rafa is my favourite, but so is Roger Federer. They would have to be my two favourite men. My favourite top five men are:
      =1st: Rafa and Roger
      2nd: Novak Djokovic
      3rd: Bernard Tomic
      4th: Pat Rafter
      5th: Juan Man Del Potro
      Womens:
      1: Kimmy!
      2: Sam Stosur
      3: Victoria Azarenka
      4: Petra Kvitova
      5: Maria Sharapova

It would be great to see an Aussie win another Grand Slam, I hope it’s Sam, Tomic or Mathew Ebden.

Love ya,
      Liv

3. Dear Liv,

Wow, what a terrific post! I am very impressed with your blogging skills, Liv! You are an excellent writer and it is wonderful that you now have a global audience to showcase your writing.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post. The main reason I loved it is because I really enjoy learning new things and I certainly learnt a lot about tennis by reading this post.

You certainly know a lot about tennis! Here are some trivia questions for you…

* What is the longest men’s match ever on record at the Australian Open?

* What grand slams did Pat Rafter win?

* Does Kim Clijsters have any siblings?

Keep up the great work, Liv! You are a blogging and tennis star! 🙂

Your teacher,
    Miss Jordan

P.S Mrs Morris and I might show you FlickrCC next week. It’s a good place to find images that we are allowed to use on blogs.

• Dear Miss Jordan,

Thanks again for a wonderful comment. I always love to hear from you, it makes my day!

I chose to write this type of post because it is an informative post about my favourite sport and Paris.

These are the answers to your questions:

The longest men’s match ever played at the Australian Open was contested by Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic. It was played this year. The match lasted a record of 5 hours and 53 minutes.

Pat Rafter won the US Open twice, the first in 1997 and the last in 1998. In 1997 he beat Greg Rusedski in a four sets. In 1998, he beat Mark Philippoussis, an Australian in four sets too.

Yes, Kim Clijsters does have a sibling, a sister named Elke. Elke also played on the WTA World Tour.

What is your favourite sport?
      Who is your favourite tennis player in men’s and women’s?

Liv 🙂

P.S I do remember FlickrCC.

• Dear Liv,

Well done, you did your research and those answers are correct! 🙂

In answer to your questions…

1. I used to play netball and tennis when I was younger. I used to be interested in watching all types of sports, but I am not as keen as I used to be. I do enjoy watching the Australian Open, swimming at the Olympics/Commonwealth Games and I tune into the cricket and football sometimes.

2. I don’t really have any favourite current tennis players. I used to really like Pat Rafter, he was a great sport both on and off the court.

See you tomorrow,
        Miss Jordan

P.S I bet your typing will get even faster with all of the blogging you have been doing! 🙂

• Dear Miss Jordan,

Thanks for another fantastic reply. We are having a great conversation aren’t we? I love having conversations.

Lots of people like netball, I’m not a big fan. I too like to watch the Olympics and Commenwealth games. Especially the swimming, diving and tennis!

I love Pat Rafter too! I agree, he is a great sportsman on and off court. I like Kim Clijsters for the way she conducts herself on and off the court. That’s what I do, if I win or lose, I am just happy to be out there playing my favourite sport.

See you tomorrow!
          Liv 🙂

4. Dear Liv,

Wow this post is fantastic!

I like tennis but it is not my favourite sport. But I know some things about it. My favourite player is Casey Delaqua and I like Kim Clisters.

I also know which one is the Effiel Tower, it is the picture with your Grandparents.

I know some of the tennis player well I’ve only heard of them I dont really know them that much.

See you soon,
    Jess 😆

• Dear Jess,

Thanks for a fantastic comment! You are such an outstanding blogger. I look forward to seeing more great posts on your blog.

I quite like Casey Delacqua. Has she ever won a Grand Slam? My ultimate favourite is Kim Clijsters because she is a good sport on and off court. Casey Delacqua is also a great sport on and off court.

Yes, you are right. The real Effiel Tower is the one with my Grandparents. The picture with me and Bon in it is at the Wharf Shed.

Your friend,
      Liv 🙂

5. Dear Liv,

I know a fact about the Eiffel Tower on the hour every hour the Tower lights up at night. It can be seen from Mon Marte, which overlooks Paris. Mon Marte is a popular place for artists to visit because of its breathtaking views of Paris. When Dad-Dad and I where in Paris we drove past Roland Garros that was in April 2009. Did you know in the restaurants in Paris the dogs are aloud in there with their owners .How do you think Lulu would go? I would love to see Sam Stosur win the womens and in the mens I would like The Master Roger.

Love ya millions
    Nan xx

• Dear Nan,

What a lovely surprise! I absolutley had a great feeling when I saw your comment, it made my day.

Those facts about the Effiel Tower are amazing, I never knew that. Mon Marte sounds like an amazing place. I would love to go there one day. I don’t think Lu would go well at all! You would have to have an obidient dog to do that!

I agree, I would love to see an Aussie win it, like Sam Stosur. I would also love to see the Swiss Master win it and add another Grand Slam to his name, but with the ‘Clay King’ around, he’d have no chance!

Love ya,
      Livvy Loo 🙂

P.S Did you see Azarenka have a scare against an Italian? She won: 6-7, came back 0-4 down in the second and won that set 6-4 and glided through the third, 6-2. The Italian is 32 years of age. Doing that is a sign of a champion!

6. Dear Liv,

What an awesome post. The post, photos and slideshow was um, er- I’m speechless. Sorry, I couldn’t find a word.

Wow! You sure do know a lot about tennis. I could see you being a Grand Slam winner in another 20 years. Give or take a few.

I think the photo of your Nan and Dad-Dad has the real Effiel Tower in the background.
    Did they climb it?

I have one question before I leave, how many different grounds can you play on?

Milz Cat

• Dear Millie,

Wow! Where do I start? You are such an oustanding blogger. I always look forward to your posts because they are so interesting and informative.

Thanks a lot for your quality comment. I loved hearing from you. I don’t think I could have found a wow word to suit your posts either!

That is exactly what everyone else in my family says! They say if they need any facts about tennis, just ask me!

Yes, you are right. The real Effiel Tower is the one with my Nan and Dad-Dad in it. My Nan and Dad-Dad went up in the lift to the first floor. There was a staircase up to a second floor but Nan and Dad-Dad didn’t go up that.

That’s a hard question, um, my favourite surfce is hardcourt, more detail, PlexiCushion. I can play on 1…2… I can play on:
      Hard court: PlexiCushion. PlexiFlex.
      Synthetic grass.
      I would like to play on clay and grass as I never have. I was told grass was always a slower game.

Here are some research facts for you:
      How many Grand Slams are played in a year?
      Who was the winner of the French Open last year in womens?
      Who was the winner of the French Open last year in mens?

Your friend,
      Liv 🙂

7. Dear Liv,

…… I am speechless! You have done an amazing job on your post!

I don’t know any interesting facts about the Eiffel Tower.

I think either Rafael Nadal or Roger Federer will win. My mum is a big fan of Roger and so am I!

I don’t know any interesting facts and you already know what my favourite sport is. It is tennis as well!

What kind of tennis ground would you prefer? I like the hard ground because the grassy ground is rather slow.

From your friend,

Maha :mrgreen:

• Dear Maha,

Where do I start? First of all, you are such an oustanding blogger! I always look forward to your posts because they are so informative.

Thanks a lot for your comment. It was so kind!

I agree, I think either Rafa or Roger will win the French Open, but Novak Djokovic is too an amazing player. I love Roger too, he is always a good sport on and off the court.

My favourite type of surface to play on is hardcourt, I especially like PlexiCushion. What surface do you like to play on?

Your friend,
      Liv 🙂

• Dear Ross,

Thanks a lot for your quality comment. It was so kind of you to make an extended comment/post about my post. I always love when you do that because it is very nice and you are getting with other people, you can have fun conversations.

I love tennis and yes, as you said in your post it is obvious. I am just tennis crazy! I went and watched the Australian Open this year and it was fantastic. My favourite player is Kim Clijsters because she is a good sport on and off the court. Do you have a favourite tennis player you like to watch?

Your blogging buddy,
      Liv 🙂

8. Dear Liv,

I can understand your support for Kim Clijsters. I agree, she is a good sport on and off the court. I might enjoy watching a good player in sport but I only admire them when they set an example of good sportmanship whether they win or lose.

I don’t have a favourite tennis player but have always admired those who are good people on and off the court. Would your dream be to play in the Australian Open one day?

Keep blogging,
    @RossMannell

• Dear Ross,

Once again, thanks a lot for an outstanding comment. I always love to hear from you because you make great conversations and your comments are so detailed.

Yes, I just love Kim Clijsters. She just hooked on to me as my favourite tennis player. My favourite tennis players in women’s are:
      1: Kim Clijsters. (Obviously!)
      2: Sensational Sam Stosur.
      3: Victoria Azarenka.
      4: Maria Sharapova.
      =5: Petra Kvitova and Ana Ivanovic.
      My favourite men’s players are:
      =1: Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer.
      2: Novak Djokovic.
      3: Bernard Tomic.
      4: Patrick Rafter
      5: Juan Martin Del Potro.

Yes, my dream would be to play in the Australian Open, but not just that, I would also love to play in the French Open, Wimbledon and the US Open. It would be my dream, but it’s a long way yet.

Your blogging buddy,
      Liv 🙂

• Dear Liv,

I can see you dream of tennis’s Grand Slam. Being able to play in the Australian and French Opens, Wimbledon, and the US Open is the dream of so many young players.

One thing I can say, at some time all of your favourite players started out as you have. They had a love of tennis and a determination to succeed mixed with skill through practise.

A man called Stephen Leacock once said…
        “It may be those who do most, dream most.”

I think your dream is worth chasing. For any dream to be achieved, we must be willing to do what’s needed. Whether or not you achieve the Grand Slam, the most important thing is to try. It’s the journey along the path of our dreams that give the greatest experiences. For me, from the age of 7, I wanted to be a teacher. It was my dream I was able to achieve. With all of the children I have known over the thirty years, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Perhaps one day we will hear your name mentioned in classes as a favourite tennis player and I would be able to say I knew how much she loved tennis as a child.

Keep blogging, dreaming and a love of tennis,

@RossMannell